Re: A few remaining questions about installing to RAID-10

> Feel free.  But the more direct a system, the more reliable it is.  Basic scientific principle.

Agreed. But for a lot of us the marginal decrease in reliability is
worth the improvement of administration of our storage systems.

> To me, LVM just adds a function (expansion) which should be in the RAID module (and likely soon will be), yet adds a whole 'nother layer of complexity.  No thanks.  BTRFS addresses all these issues, but I was an early adopter and got burned by the loss of my data at a crucial point.

It may be a matter of perspective but LVM IMO is less about expansion
and more about decoupling. From my perspective LVM brings to storage
what Virtual Machines bring to hardware, a separation of the physical
hardware from what the OS/Filesystem sees.

That's the risk of early adoption. That said, LVM is far from early
adopter software. I've been using LVM2 the last five years and I'm
currently sitting on a volume group that's been migrated better then
three times over the last five years. I've seen posts on here from
people, and personally know several, who are building mission critical
multi terabyte storage systems built on XFS over LVM over RAID.
Granted the hardware is enterprise grade but to me when someone trusts
>$100k worth of data to LVM, that says something about the stability
of LVM. I don't think one can say the same about BTRFS, or even ext4.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie