Re: A few remaining questions about installing to RAID-10

--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Drew <drew.kay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Drew <drew.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
> > I didn't use LVM, and don't
> trust layering of any technology.
>
> I'm curious as to why you say that?
>
> From my experience almost everything in software is layered
> or an
> abstraction. The Network & Storage stacks are just
> layers of code
> running over top other lower layers. LVM & RAID are
> just another layer
> in the storage stack, and well tested ones I might add.

Feel free.  But the more direct a system, the more reliable it is.  Basic scientific principle.

To me, LVM just adds a function (expansion) which should be in the RAID module (and likely soon will be), yet adds a whole 'nother layer of complexity.  No thanks.  BTRFS addresses all these issues, but I was an early adopter and got burned by the loss of my data at a crucial point.