Re: RAID10 - migrating disks without failing/degrading array?

You could also use mdadm..... :-)

Say you have raid10 array md0 with members sda1 sdb1 sdc1 sdd1 and you
wish to swap out sdd1 for sde1, with as little time for massive fail
as possible...:

Add a bitmap (bitmap chunk may need tweaking here depending on size of devices)
mdadm -Gb internal --bitmap-chunk=1024 /dev/md0

Fail and remove device:
mdadm --fail /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm --remove /dev/md

Build (NOT create) a new raid1:
mdadm --build /dev/13 -ayes --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdd1 missing

Add this new raid1 to md0:
mdadm /dev/md0 --re-add /dev/md32

Add the new disk to the temp raid1:
mdadm /dev/md32 --add /dev/sde1

[Now wait a while for md32 to resync. md0 should not have had to
resync at all if the array was not in use. Hurrah bitmap!]

Remove the raid1:
mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/md32
mdadm /dev/md0 --remove /dev/md32
mdadm --stop /dev/md32