Re: RAID10 - migrating disks without failing/degrading array?

(Re-adding linux-raid to CC)

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM, David Rees <drees76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It seems like I should be able to add a drive as a directly
>> replacement for one of the drives I'm pulling out (so I temporarily
>> end up with 3-copies of that chunk instead of 2) until I pull
>> fail/remove the older disk.  If I was using RAID0 striped over RAID1
>> mirrors, for example, I know this is possible.
>>
>> Is this possible to do with RAID10?
>
> You could stop the array and use dd to copy the old disks to the new
> ones. Then just start up the array on the new disks.

Yeah, that would work, but the goal is to do the migration without any downtime.

eSATA hot-swap even in inexpensive enclosures works pretty well these
days.  There are slight hiccups as the drives get rescanned, but it's
not too noticable.

-Dave