Re: A few remaining questions about installing to RAID-10

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Robin Hill <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Either 0.90 or 1.0 will work (both are held at the end)- 0.90 allows for
> kernel auto-assembly, but is a legacy format.  Any modern Linux
> distribution will use an initrd which can assemble arrays with any
> superblock, so current advice would be to use 1.0.

Ok, that's clear.

> For a boot partition I'd stick with RAID-1, then use RAID-10,f2 for
> other partitions.

f2 is clear for read-mostly space, like most of /root.  But for /var?
/home? other /data?

I'm learning there a 'subtleties' to all this.

> There's no real advantage in using RAID-10,n4 over
> RAID-1 (it's a different code-path so there may be slight differences
> one way or the other, but nothing that will matter for a boot
> partition anyway), and just makes the setup more unusual.

I thought that RAID-10's disk failure survivability is n-2, for n >=4
drives.  RAID-1 over 4 drives can also survive 2-drive failure?

> It's up to you though - RAID-10,n4 and a four-way RAID-1 will have the
> same on-disk layout, so either will work fine.  Oh - one other thing is
> that RAID-1 is expandable (you can add other partitions later) whereas
> RAID-10 is not currently.

Athough needing to expand /boot is hardly a requirement, I did NOT
realize that RAID-10 is not expandable.  Partitions ARE certainly
add-able within the LVM that spans the RAID-10, but I thoguth that
spindles, and new partition could be added after initial creation.
Need to read some more.

Ben