Re: A few remaining questions about installing to RAID-10

Hi Neil,

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for clearing things up for me.  Very helpful.

Shame about not being able to boot from RAID-10 -- yet.  It'd make the
setup simpler, I think.

> I haven't used any of those installers in ages

Just out of curiosity, what DO you use? A different installer (I
notice you're at Suse), or a completely manual approach?

> I would probably go for 'c' as it is most flexible.  If, however, you
> are going to be hitting swap a lot, and cannot afford extra memory,
> 'a' might be the better option.

These are 8-24GB RAM boxes.  (c), then, should be OK.

> 1.2 isn't "newer".  1.0, 1.1, 1.2 are similar but put the metadata in different places.
> I has been suggested that we call them 1.end, 1.start and 1.offset (or
> something like that) and while it might be a good idea, it hasn't
> happened.

I knew that metadata location was different between them, but had
misunderstood that to be 'progress', with the newer version being
'better'.

> You almost certainly want 1.0 for /boot otherwise you probably won't be able to boot.

Glad you confirmed that!  I missed any docs that said "must be1.0 to boot".

>  I would suggest 1.1 for your RAID10.

I'm guessing that's for performance reasons, and is no more/less
'recoverable' in the case of a disaster?

>> (5) In whatever config is "best" in (3), above, is it still good
>> advice to install the bootlader into multiple MBRs? For example, if I
>> extend the RAID-1 over all 4-disks, then, I install the loader into
>> all four MBRs?
>
> Yes.  Else you might be able to boot if the first device dies.

That's what I'll do.  I've not seen any examples of RAID-1 over
4-disks.  Usually just 2.  Recovery process is the same for 4 vs 2,
right?  I figure I won't get, or notice, much performance difference
between 2- or 4- disk.  I just assume it'll be a bit more robust

> Good luck,

THanks!

Ben