Re: Re-map disk sectors in userspace when rewriting after read errors

I've re-read this thread and I was wondering if: echo check >
/sys/block/$array/md/sync_action would help me (and possibly Matthias)
in any way.

I have a RAID5 array of 8 disks running degraded on 7. One of the 7
has bad sectors and the one that is not in the array also had bad
sectors.

I zeroed the one out of the array (with dd) and then cloned the one
with bad sectors in the array to it using dd_rescue.

Later, I reassembled the array using the cloned disk instead of the original.

So now, I'm sure I still have inconsistencies, but would doing the
action above force a correction? Also, would that work on a degraded
array?

Thank you.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Matthias Urlichs <matthias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Alternatively write a re-map device-mapper target that reserves some
>> space of the disk and remaps bad blocks itself.
>>
> That'd require some place to store the mapping so that the whole thing
> still works after a reboot. Which should probably be on a different
> disk.
>
> I tend to want to move (part of) that problem to userspace; you may want
> to do more than a simple remapping of a few blocks when that happens
> (e.g. test-reading the surrounding area).
>
> --

       Majed B.