Re: Re-map disk sectors in userspace when rewriting after read errors

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:37:52 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:

> Either way, it's not
> suitable for data I even care a little bit about.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you. In this case, however, the data is mostly
read-only and on backup media. So I don't really care if the disks fall
off the edge of a cliff; the data will survive.

I can justify a moderate amount of time working on this, with the
hardware I have. I can't really justify buying eight new disks.

NB: Please don't dismiss this kind of setup out of hand. I know that
disks are cheap enough these days that the typical professional user
won't ever need to worry about not being able to replace hardware which
behaves like this. However, many people happen to be in a different
situation. :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs