Re: Re-map disk sectors in userspace when rewriting after read errors

Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem now with 2 disks. The
Current_Pending_Sectors and Offline_Uncorrectable are higher than 100,
on a RAID5. SMART monitoring tools failed to report these after each
test so now I'm battling through...

I'm running the array degraded and yesterday while trying to copy the
data to another array (5.5TB), one disk jumped out of the dodgy array
and caused I/O errors... It won't even resync to another disk beyond
15.6%.

Currently, I'm cloning with dd_rescue and hoping to be able to copy
most of the data, and accept some data loss...

Would anyone suggest a better solution?

P.S.: The disks in question are WD, model: WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0. I have
other WD disks and they're intact and have zero bad sectors...

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Matthias Urlichs <matthias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my problem is that I have a bunch of crappy disks which seem unable to
> reliably remap bad areas after a read error.
>
> This obviously makes the read error rewrite feature of our beloved
> RAID5/6 code somewhat less than useful.
>
> What I would like to do is to re-map these sectors in userspace -- either
> by browbeating the disk into it, or by using the Device Mapper. So I'd
> need a way to tell a userspace daemon "this device+block is unreadable",
> and wait until said daemon tells the RAID core to go ahead.
>
> I can do the userspace side easily, but my time to dig through the RAID
> code and implement that sort of channel in a maintainable way is somewhat
> limited. (Plus, I need that code sooner rather than later.)
>
> Would somebody be able to help out? There may be some money in it ...
>
> --
> Matthias Urlichs
>
> --

       Majed B.