Re: Adaptec 1430SA

--- On Tue, 8/9/09, Majed B. <majedb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Majed B. <majedb@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Adaptec 1430SA
> To: "John Robinson" <john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tuesday, 8 September, 2009, 11:13 PM
> Check this link out:
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
>
> AT the end, they have a list of components, cheap ones. One
> is a
> 2-port sata card and another is a 4-port sata card. You
> might find
> them appealing to your usage.
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM, John
> Robinson<john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 08/09/2009 15:34, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> >>
> >> --- On Tue, 8/9/09, Majed B. <majedb@xxxxxxxxx>

> > [...]
> >>
> >> Hi, thanks for the link! I was planning on just
> using it as a means to get
> >> more ports - and then use mdadm to actually to the
> raid part.
> >
> > Been doing a spot of Googling around this myself.
> Looks like there's open
> > source code available to support seeing the discs,
> either with sata_mv or
> > Adaptec's own aar81xx drivers, which will get you
> going for what you say
> > above. However, if you did want to use HostRAID
> (Adaptec's name for
> > fakeraid) you either have to build Adaptec's driver
> linking in their
> > closed-source binary HostRAID code or use the open
> source dmraid.
> >
> > I'm a bit mystified at the idea of Adaptec using
> Marvell chips, though. I
> > wonder what that's all about?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John.
> >

> --
>        Majed B.

Are you referring to the Addonics ADSA4R5? Thanks for the heads up! Is PCI straight up got the throughput for 4 devices? I have a 2 port cheapy PCI via card Sata 1 and it has turned out to be abit of a mare...

Whilst I have a skilled audience :) Do you have any experience with port multiplier?

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'