Re: Array Power Management

> You don't needo to unmount it: just leave it mounted, and it will automatically spin up when accessed.
> I've been doing just that with a backup (rsnapshot) server for a some time, works just fine.

That's great news, I was hoping there would be something simple.

> In my case the total power consumption went down by over 50%
(th> e disks stay powered down by about 85% of the time).

I don't have my figures here at the moment, but I'm hoping to save a big chunk like that too. I'm spinning 12 x 320GB disks on my file server, 15 x 500GB disk on one media server, and 7 x 1TB disks (and climbing - Got to lovr array expansion) on my new media server. Since it's really only mainly in use between 5pm and midnight, being able to spin down the disks would be a huge plus (or rather, minus on the electric bill). I had considered just shutting down the server, but I'm probably going to be (re)installing MythTV when .22 is released, so one (or more) of the servers will end up being storage for that, so I would never really know when the array is going to be needed.

> I simply do it with every individual disk of the array.

I was tempted to try that, but I wasn't sure if that would cause issues with md or not. I did some googling - found quite a bit on spinning down single drives, but noone had really anything to say about arrays (maybe I should have binged instead...:) )

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

--
Tapani Tarvainen