Array Power Management

I've been becoming interested in the power consumption of the arrays I have on a couple of servers here that are basically used as media servers. Since they're not being used when I'm at work, I was looking at the possibility of spinning the disks down during certain times, and having them either spin up at a set time, or (ideally), when there is disk activity.

I can do this on single drives using hdparm -S to set the spindown timeout, and the disks will spin up on activity as needed. Is there something similar I can do with an md array? I can see there's a /sys/block/md0/power/wakeup file, but I can't seem to find any documentation on it. I have thought about doing an hdparm -S on the array disks, but I suspect that would be A Bad Thing (tm).

Does anyone have any advice/pointers? The servers are currently running fc9 - I'd like them to be Centos, but had to go with fc9, as I needed Port Multiplier support.

Graham