Re: Raid 5 - not clean and then a failure.

On Wed Aug 26, 2009 at 10:14:31AM -0400, Ryan Wagoner wrote:

> Wouldn't weekly RAID consistency checks reveal a bad block before you
> had a failure that required the need to do a full resync? It only
> takes 3 hours to resync my 3 x 1TB drives and having a bitmap would
> reduce the performance. I've never had to have a resync in the year
> I've had the array up. I just wonder if the performance drawback is
> worth having the bitmap to save a possible resync once every couple
> years. Or are the RAID consistency checks not reliable enough to
> prevent more errors during a resync?

If your system is that stable, then bitmaps will be a waste of time for
you.  A lot of people have hardware/software issues which cause drives
to be kicked out of arrays occasionally, or arrays to fail to shut down
cleanly.  A bitmap will save time when adding the drive back into the
array in these cases.

Cheers,
    Robin
--