Re: Raid 5 - not clean and then a failure.

On 25/08/2009 09:40, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
--- On Tue, 25/8/09, Robin Hill <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue Aug 25, 2009 at 12:54:49AM -0700, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
I have been having some problems with my arrays that I think i have
nailed down to a pci controller (well I say that - it is always the
drives connected to *a* controller but I have tried 2!) anyway the
latest saga is i was trying some new kernel options last night - which
didn't work.

Did they have the same chipset?  I had problems with PCI controllers on
one of my systems, which turned out to be some sort of conflict between
the onboard chipset and the chipset on the controllers.  I found a PCI
card with a different chipset and have had no issues since.

They are/were cheapy little via ones

That's your problem right there. Well, in my experience and therefore opinion, VIA stuff is all too often junk, or at least iffy enough never to be trusted with anything professional or important.

[...]
I have a pci express controller but my kernel doesnt (yet!) support pci express.

*How old* is your kernel?

Cheers,

John.