Re: Help

On 22/08/2009 19:12, Info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Saturday 22 August 2009 09:47:48 John Robinson wrote:
[...]
What partition type should I use rather than raid autodetect?  Or should I revert to 0.90 metadata?
Probably type DA, Non-FS data, though type FD will be fine even if they're not auto-detected.

It simply found 'bad magick' with FD, so that doesn't work with the newer versions.  I tried to use both newer versions, but it's not possible.  You sound not quite sure of the partition type, so I'll stick with FD and 0.90.  Thanks though John.

I said "probably" DA because that's what's been suggested by others previously on this list. Others have simply used 83, but that's not ideal because if the partitions appear to have filesystems on (e.g. the metadata's not at the beginning), they might get auto-mounted without md RAID. I'm sure FD will work fine with later metadata versions as long as you have mdadm in your initramfs, and while as you've noted there'll be a whinge in the boot log about it not being version 0.90, it's not going to cause the kernel to lock up or anything like that.

Cheers,

John.