Re: Help

On 22/08/2009 13:56, Info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...]
It is very lucid and clear, however I am slightly modifying it to use RAID10 on my second and third partitions. When I come to update-initramfs -u
... the only initrd it updates is for an old stock kernel.  It doesn't build one for any of my compiled kernels.

You should have mkinitrd (that's what it is on Fedora/RHEL/CentOS) or something similar with which you can build initramfs images for any kernel.

What partition type should I use rather than raid autodetect?  Or should I revert to 0.90 metadata?

Probably type DA, Non-FS data, though type FD will be fine even if they're not auto-detected.

Looking at dmesg it does say that md1 & 2 do not have a valid ==v.90== superblock.  There is no other linux raid partition type, so I guess it's got to be v.090.  Why do they make 1.1 and 1.2 then, if they do not work?

The newer metadata types have their benefits. Auto-detection is being deprecated, I think it's because things which are only for boot-up time are being pushed out of the permanently-loaded kernel into initramfs, so they don't hang around wasting space on a running system. For example, CentOS 5 uses autodetection, Fedora 10 automatically puts mdadm in the initramfs and runs it at the right time.

Cheers,

John.