Re: man mdadm regarding --assume-clean says it's OK to use with RAID1 or 10, when creating:

2009/8/23 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:
[...]
> Yes it will be updated.  But if it is updated with a
> read-modify-write cycle then an old incorrect value will be updated
> to a new incorrect value, which doesn't help you much.

	I see. Thank you for the answer. My assumption was due thinking that
parity is never being used when RAID5 is in "healthy" mode.

	But anyway, please clear it up: if I've made --asume-clean RAID5
array, formatted it with some FS (or even LVM), and put OS/data to it,
then (in idle at night, for e. g.) run "resync", would that be the
same valid result (overall data integrity) as if I had previously
created it without "--asume-clean" at all? (Let's suppose hard disks
were healthy in both cases :-)

	And Neil, using the chance to have your reply :-) I'd like to ask one
more question: is that true (I think and hope it is!) that MD doesn't
read/write full chunk size when it's just to read/write another block
of data and hence chunk size only affects data interleaving on disks.

	P. S. Is there someone on this list who can share his linux-RAID
archive in mbox format? From time to time I find interesting
discussions have been going but can't just hit "Reply". If you can
help me with that, please reply personally (not CC:ing to the list).
Thanks!

--
End of message. Next message?