Re: RAID 5 re-add of removed drive? (failed drive replacement)

On Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 03:09:11AM -0700, Alex R wrote:

> I have a serious RAID problem here. Please have a look at this. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
> As always, most problems occur only during critical tasks like
> enlarging/restoring. I tried to replace a drive in my 7disc 6T RAID5 array
> as explained here:
> http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2006/09/09/raid5-online-resizing-with-linux/
>
> After removing a drive and restoring to the new one, another disc in the
> array failed. Now I still have all the data redundantly available (the old
> drive is still there), but the RAID header is now in a state where it's
> impossible to access the data. Is it possible to rearrange the drives to
> force the kernel to a valid array?

<-- SNIP details -->

AFAIK, the only solution at this stage is to recreate the array.

You need to use the "--assume-clean" flag (or replace one of the drives
with "missing"), along with _exactly_ the same parameters & drive order
as when you originally created the array (you should be able to get most
of this from mdadm -D).  This will rewrite the RAID metadata, but leave
the filesystem untouched.

HTH,
    Robin
--