Re: Upgrading a software RAID

On Sat May 30, 2009 at 02:35:24PM -0400, Maxime Boissonneault wrote:

>>> I can not install more drives in the computer. It is a home theater
>>> computer in a small case. I was expecting to be able to let the raid
>>> manage the copies itself.
>>>
>>> If the / was on a RAID5, would it be able to boot with 2 disks ?
>>> If so, is it possible to convert my RAID0 to a RAID5 ?
>>> For example, I could boot on a CD, backup / onto /home, delete the RAID0
>>> array and recreate it as RAID5, then restore the backup. Would this work
>>> ?
>>
>> Based on my testing (somewhat old now) and regular use, I would say raid10
>> is probably your best bet. It's fast and secure, and with the -f2 option
>> for "far" copies it's able to give high transfer rates.
>
> Doesn't RAID10 means RAID 1+0, which requires 4 disks ?

Yes and no!  Linux software (md) raid implements RAID10 as a single
layer (rather than layering RAID0 and RAID1), allowing the number of
drives and the number of replicas to be pretty arbitrary.  The basic
principle holds though - you'll still have 2 (or more if specified)
replicas of each data block, and blocks are striped across the drives.

You can read the details on the md manual page.

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___