Re: "raid array not clean" messages

Neil Brown wrote:
On Thursday May 21, fibreraid@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have no problem with this message being written to
/var/log/messages, but in our case, we don't want it on the console.
We want the console to only be there for kernel crash dumps (if they
occur), nothing else.

I feel you are a bit optimistic...

But I guess what you are really asking is for the message to be
printed with a lower priority than KERN_ERR - maybe KERN_INFO.
It is in drivers/md/md.c at the end of analyze_sbs.

You would need to compile a new kernel to achieve that.

Since it is actually informational rather than an error, I would think KERN_INFO would be more correct for all users. Then people who want stuff like that can play with their syslog configuration to see it if they want. I agree that conditions which do not require intervention to correct them are not errors, messages about them are for informational purposes. Hardware errors and failure in unexpected places don't need to bother the operator (for whatever definition of operator you like).

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
   - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.