Re: RAID4 and RAID5 Code

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SandeepKsinha wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looks like we have the same code for RAID 4 and RAID 5, I could see
>> the same make_request for both.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the code, where exactly we differentiate
>> between these two. i.e updating checksum block, etc.
>>

> RAID 4 is really nothing but a block layout algorithm for RAID 5 (which
> has four more block layout algorithms.)  RAID 6 contains all five under
> one "level".

RAID 4 vs RAID 5
Actually debatable. They have their own pros and cons and especially
where you don't consider the physical properties of disk.
Addition of new disk, differences in speed of disks, etc.. create
bottlenecks especially in case of RAID5.

Except hot spot issue with RAID 4, I find it better than all others.
Also, most of the proprietary solutions from IBM, Adaptec and NetApp
suggest RAID4 as compared to others.

No offenses please, this is just an opinion.

--
Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”