RE: Spare fails to transfer between RAID groups

On Tuesday May 12, garth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sunday May 10, I (garth@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem getting a spare partition moved to the right RAID
> group
> > after a failure...All superblocks involved are version 1.2.
>
> Neil Brown replied:
>
> > This would be because no one has tried the spare-group feature with
> > 1.x metadata yet...The following patch should make it work...This patch
> > is against 2.6.9, though it should apply to any reasonably recent 2.x
> mdadm.
>
> Thanks for the response, Neil. The patch works great; now I get Fail,
> MoveSpare, and Rebuild events in sequence with no errors. /proc/mdstat shows
> that the appropriate spare was moved into the failed array and that the
> array is being rebuilt onto it.

Excellent.  Thanks for testing and reporting.

> I patched the 2.6.7.1 tree, which was Jaunty's default for "apt-get source
> mdadm" (and the same version included in the binary package). Manage.c and
> Monitor.c already matched the "after" state of your patch, so the only code
> that actually changed was the one-liners in super0.c and super1.c.

That is impossible.  I had only just written that patch, so there is
no way the 'after' bit could possibly be in Jaunty.  Maybe something
got confused when you ran patch.... doesn't really matter - it works,
and that is the important thing.

NeilBrown