Re: RAID 1 resync with both members good.

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:32:01AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
On Thu, May 7, 2009 6:08 pm, Simon Jackson wrote:
Could someone help me understand why I am seeing the following
behaviour?

We use a pair of disks with 3 RAID1 partitions inside an appliance
system.

During testing we have seen some instances of the RAID devices resyncing
even though both members are marked as good in the output of
/proc/mdstat.

That is exactly as expectedc.
If one of the devices had failed and was being replaced by a spare, you
would see "recovery" not "resync".

Resync happens after an unclean shutdown.
In that case, both drives have good data, but they might not be the same.
The resync makes sure that all copies have exactly the same data.

So you there must have been an unclean shutdown before the most recent
restart.

or a stupid udev rule that gets incremental assembly wrong

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.