Re: RAID halting

On 30/04/2009 01:55, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
What I'd be much more inclined to do is create 2 RAID 5 sets, one of 1T
discs, and one of 1.5T discs, then combine the two using LVM. It just
feels more natural to me that way. In addition, while both setups will
tolerate one disc failure, yours will then only tolerate one particular
one of the remaining 11 failing (the companion drive in the LVM/linear
pair), and mine will tolerate a failure of any drive on the other RAID-5.

I had thought of this, but then replacing the 1T + 1.5T pairs with 3T
drives, which I expect to happen eventually, will be more difficult.

Not really. You can just replace the drives in one array with 3T ones (one at a time, waiting for the rebuild to complete each time), grow the array, resize LVM's PV with `pvresize`, tell LVM to move the data from the other array across with `pvmove`, decommission the now-empty array/PV, and finally resize the filesystem.

If you can have all the drives online at once, it's easier than that - make a new array of 3T drives, add it to the LVM VG, and `pvmove` all your data, decommission the now-empty arrays/PVs, and resize the fs.

Or you might choose to keep one of the arrays of smaller drives and have a larger backup system, no `pvmove`s required.

Cheers,

John.