Re: [Patch] mdadm ignoring homehost?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:47:36PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
On Apr 20, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Piergiorgio Sartor wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:13:32PM +0200, Luca Berra wrote:
add --auto=md to the command line
or put it in the create line in mdadm.conf

Thanks, that did the trick!

Interesting, it seems now I have 3 devices
for that raid.
One is /dev/md127, one is /dev/md/boot, with
same (major, minor) as md127, and there is a
third one, /dev/md_boot, which is a symbolic
link to /dev/md/boot.

/proc/mdstat reports /dev/md127

And so the confusion is perpetuated. This is *not* accessing a device by name. If I give mdadm a name for my device, I don't want it doing *anything* with numbers, creating numbered symlinks, or anything else. In addition, if I tell mdadm to create something in /dev/md/ (versus it decided all on its own to create something there), then I do *NOT* want it creating *anything* in /dev/ that I didn't ask for. That, again, adds to the confusion. Of all of it though, the /proc/mdstat is the worst part as it underscores that the kernel stack is not able to think in terms of names instead of numbers.

and md is not even the worst case, think of device-mapper where
dm-<minor> could be anything from a multipath san storage to lvm or
encrypted partition or even a normal partition mapped via kpartx :P

I believe we should add a mdstat command that should replace 'cat
/proc/mdstat' hiding the gory details.
and device-file creation could be configurable.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.