Re: RAID without superblock

I don't think it's a problem anymore, but on Centos 5.2, use of
superblocks other than 0.90 and sparegroups with md monitor are not
compatible. I found this out the hard way after creating a few arrays
with 1.2 and putting them in the same sparegroup--when one array went
degraded, mdadm removed the spare from one, but failed when trying to
add it to the other, leaving me one spare less and with a degraded
array still.

Fun!

Cheers

cc

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Piergiorgio Sartor
<piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all thanks a lot for all the suggestions,
> it is really nice to have this support!
>
> While reading the answers, I realized that I did
> not make the "requirements" really clear. My bad.
>
> The "primary" disk is an external one, which 90%
> of the time is connected to the same Linux PC.
> But, it could happen it is removed and connected
> somewhere else, where no "md" is available.
>
> My idea was, in order to have some protection, to
> use it in RAID-1 "superblockless" configuration
> on the "default" PC, and use it as a normal disk
> whenever (or wherever) necessary.
> Of course, the bitmap resync will not work, when
> updating the disk directly, without "md" layer.
>
> On the other hand, if the full-resync is always
> done from this disk to the local mirror, there
> would be no problem, except time.
>
> The reason to do this kind of backup is that this
> disk is encrypted, so a "block device copy" will
> keep the data encrypted, while a backup of the
> mounted disk will not. Unless done to another
> encrypted disk/partition, of course.
>
> Clearly, any suggestion is still really appreciated!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> bye,
>
> --
>
> piergiorgio
> --

Chris Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink."
-- Micah