RE: RAID halting

> >  for f in /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler; do
> >     echo noop > $f
> >     echo $f "$(cat $f)"
> >   done
>
> OK, I did this.  Two questions:

It doesn't seem to have helped or hindered.  I still get halts, but under
moderate loads not every time.

> > Leslie: I still think finding out what the kernel is doing during the
> > stall would be a HUGE hint to the problem. Did you look into oprofile or
> > ftrace?
>
> I couldn't find a Debian source for ftrace, but I did download oprofile.

Something very disturbing is happening now, however.  Just a few minutes
after loading oprofile, the system did a sudden total shutdown.  The file
systems were all left dirty, and power was suddenly cut to the main chassis.
This has never happened before.  I rebooted the system, and the file systems
replayed their journals.  Some data was lost, of course, but nothing
serious.  A few hours later, the exact same thing happened again:  A sudden
shut-down.  Nothing like this has ever happened before.  Of course the
system can issue a power shutdown from software, but it is supposed to clean
up the file systems first, and it's not supposed to just do it autonomously.