RE: RAID halting

> > I think the only way to switch schedulers is to reboot.  You invoke
> > the noop scheduler via a command line arg to the kernel at boot time.
>
> This can be done at any time, no reboot required:
>
>  for f in /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler; do
>     echo noop > $f
>     echo $f "$(cat $f)"
>   done

OK, I did this.  Two questions:

1.  The system responded in each case with this: "/sys/block/<block
device>/queue/scheduler [noop] anticipatory deadline cfq".  Is this as
expected?

2.  To switch back to the default scheduler, which I take it is CFQ, do I
simply issue the command above, replacing the string "noop" with "cfq"?

> Just FYI, I don't think ionice and friends will work when using noop.
>
> Leslie: I still think finding out what the kernel is doing during the
> stall would be a HUGE hint to the problem. Did you look into oprofile or
> ftrace?

I couldn't find a Debian source for ftrace, but I did download oprofile.  I
am going to require some guidance, however.  I understand in general terms
what oprofile does, and vaguely what is involved with setup and
configuration, but it's quite a powerful and flexible tool, and I have
little or no idea of where to head with specifics.  If someone would care to
send a little guidance on what parameters I need to employ for setup and
configuration, and what processes I need to profile, I would be most
grateful.

Not knowing what to expect for an output, I may also require some help with
analysis.  If anyone wishes to help, but would prefer to take it offline,
please feel free to e-mail me directly.  Otherwise, please respond here.