From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of NeilBrown
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 10:33 PM
To: Brian Manning
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Raid-5 Reshape Gone Bad

On Mon, March 2, 2009 1:42 pm, Brian Manning wrote:
> I've been running a MD three-drive raid-5 for a while now with no
> problems on a CentOS 5.2 i386 box.  I've attempted to add a fourth
> drive to the array yesterday & grow it.  This is where things got
ugly....

> It began the reshape as expected, some hours later I rebooted the box
> for another reason entirely, forgetting about the reshape that was
> still going on.  But it was a clean shutdown process and md stopped
> just fine.  So I wasn't too worried about it, I knew it was just pick
> up again once it booted.
>
> After startup the kernel found the md, said it was to resume the
> reshape... then it came time for the kernel to mount root.. and hung
> scanning for Logical Volumes, I left it for over an hour, it never
> proceeded past this stage.  Disk io light was off, nothing going on.
>
> My entire OS save /boot is on the raid-5, split across several LVM2s
> inside that md device.  It's always worked fine for me in the past.
>
> But now LVM is hanging on boot, I can't even get into single mode or
> anything like that.  So I bring out the boot disc and go into rescue
mode.

> I check the raid status, everything looks okay, so I manually start
> the MD again from the boot cd, and that fires up as expected,
> however.... when I look at /proc/mdstat... the speed is 0KB/sec, and
> the ETA is growing by 100's of minutes a second.
>
> I let this go for about 2 hours, and nothing ever happens, speed is 0,

> diskio light is off, nothing is happening.

I notice that your array has a chunksize of 1024K.
That is big enough to cause an issue that was only resolved in
mdadm-2.6.8, which I suspect you aren't using.

If you
  echo 1024 > /sys/block/md0/md/stripe_cache_size
it might spring to life.

I think the 1024 is right, but if it doesn't work try a larger number
(e.g. 8192) just in case I got the math wrong.

And:  no, you cannot go back to a 3 drive array.  The transformation is
currently one-way.

NeilBrown

believed to be clean.