When read-only isn't read-only (was Re: [mdadm git pull] imsm fixes and general external metadata updates)

On 23/02/2009 20:16, NeilBrown wrote:
On Tue, February 24, 2009 6:53 am, Doug Ledford wrote:
Is XFS the only one that does the journal recovery on initial mount
read-only during the initfs step, or do other journaled fses do the same
thing?  I didn't think ext3 recovered the journal until you switch to a
read-write mount, but I guess I could be wrong.

This from fs/ext3/super.c

	if (EXT3_HAS_INCOMPAT_FEATURE(sb, EXT3_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_RECOVER)) {
		if (sb->s_flags & MS_RDONLY) {
			printk(KERN_INFO "EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery "
					"required on readonly filesystem.\n");
			if (really_read_only) {
				printk(KERN_ERR "EXT3-fs: write access "
					"unavailable, cannot proceed.\n");
				return -EROFS;
			}
			printk (KERN_INFO "EXT3-fs: write access will "
					"be enabled during recovery.\n");
		}
	}

suggests that, unfortunately, you are.

Presumably it's not only me that thinks this is insane? If I want to mount a filesystem read-only, I expect it to be mounted read-only; perhaps I already know it's damaged, or know the journal's damaged...

I guess I can see the journal recovery normally being the right thing, and it is the filesystem we asked to have read-only not the disc, but still there surely has to be a way of saying mount without journal recovery, or mount without writing to disc, or both, and if there isn't who do I ask to implement it? (I'm way too rusty as a coder to trust myself to get it even half right.)

I wonder: in the case of ext3 can I mount it as ext2 and thereby have the journal ignored rather than recovered? And would this be sufficient for the initrd context?

Cheers,

John.