Re: [mdadm git pull] imsm fixes and general external metadata updates

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 10:46 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
>> We really need a man page for mdmon don't we.  Then this sort of text
>> could be placed there for safely.
>
> Yes, a man page is definitely needed.

I have one brewing, I'll include it in an upcoming pull request.

> I have no intention of putting
> mdmon in the initramfs.  The only arrays that should be started during
> initramfs operation are / and possibly /boot.  Both of those are started
> readonly.  It isn't until later in the boot process (in rc.sysinit on
> Fedora/RHEL) that we remount the / device rw.  It's my intention to
> modify our rc.sysinit so that before the root device goes rw, we start
> the necessary mdmon instances.  This should be sufficient to keep the
> container metadata state consistent with reality and avoids having to
> add mdmon to the initramfs.  However, that means I need to know how to
> invoke mdmon when mdadm isn't starting it for me.

Did you happen to catch the discussion on the initramfs mailing list
[1]?  It would be nice to not need mdmon in the initramfs.  However, I
have found it needs to be there because even read-only mounted
filesystems require write access to the underlying block device to
recover the journal.

--
Dan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.initramfs/65/