Re: rescue an alien md raid5

Harry Mangalam wrote:
Here's an unusual (long) tale of woe.

We had a USRobotics 8700 NAS appliance with 4 SATA disks in RAID5:
 <http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8700>
which was a fine (if crude) ARM-based Linux NAS until it stroked out at some point, leaving us with a degraded RAID5 and comatose NAS device.

We'd like to get the files back of course and I've moved the disks to a Linux PC, hooked them up to a cheap Silicon Image 4x SATA controller and brought up the whole frankenmess with mdadm. It reported a clean but degraded array:

root@pnh-rcs:/# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 00.90.03

The docs and files on the USR web site imply that the native filesystem was originally XFS, but when i try to mount it as such, I can't:

mount -vvv -t xfs /dev/md1 /mnt
mount: fstab path: "/etc/fstab"
mount: lock path:  "/etc/mtab~"
mount: temp path:  "/etc/mtab.tmp"
mount: no LABEL=, no UUID=, going to mount /dev/md1 by path
mount: spec:  "/dev/md1"
mount: node:  "/mnt"
mount: types: "xfs"
mount: opts:  "(null)"
mount: mount(2) syscall: source: "/dev/md1", target: "/mnt", filesystemtype: "xfs", mountflags: -1058209792, data: (null)
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md1,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Hmmm... is it possible that the journal is external for the XFS filesystem in question? Could you try

	mount -o norecovery,ro /dev/md1 /mountpoint

Otherwise, could you dd the file system off there onto another (large) partition, before you try xfs_repair

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO