Spares not automatically added on boot

All,

I've been having a long-standing problem with spares not being automatically re-added to my raid sets when the system is booted. I reported this problem here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/252365

The problem appears to be that if spare drives are served by a disk controller that is of another type than the one serving the active volumes, then the modules for both types of disk controller need to be included in the initrd image for things to work properly. This is on Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.

I'd be interested in views here as to the real root cause (since the fix that works for me and for one other user may not a generic fix).

Thanks, Jan