Re: southbridge/sata controller performance?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 04:32:27PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Matt Garman wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 04:55:18AM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> >
> >>What are you trying to accomplish?
> >
> >Trying to determine what motherboard would be ideal for a home NAS
> >box AND have the lowest power consumption... the AMD solutions seem
> >to win on the power consumption front, but I'm not sure about the
> >performance.

> How fast do you need? Gigabit is only ~100MiB/s.  Are you buying a 10Gbps
> card?

My impression is that using on-mobo sata controllers gives you adequate
bandwidth. SATA-controllers with 20 Gbit/s - or 2,5 GB/s bidirectional
speeds are more than adequate for say 4 disks of 80 - 120 MB/s speed.
And anyway, if you run in a multiprocess environment the random access
read or write speed per disk is normally only about half of the
sequential speed.

I have a mobo with 2 SATA controllers with 4 ports each, with my GB
disks, it can generate max 700 MB/s which is much less than the 2,5 GB/s
that the southbridge can deliver.

Using 1 Gbit/s ethernet connections may easily become a bottleneck.

We do have a bottleneck section on our wiki:
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Performance#Bottlenecks

> >>As Roger pointed out, doing a dd is a good way to test, from each
> >>disk, simultaneously, on an old Intel P965 board I was able to
> >>achieve 1.0-1.1Gbyte/sec doing that with 12 Velociraptors and
> >>1.0Gbyte/sec reads on the XFS filesystem when dd (reading) large
> >>data on the volume.  Approx 500-600MiB/s from the southbridge, the
> >>other 400MiB/s from the northbridge.
> >
> >Is the "parallel dd test" valid if I do a raw read off the device,
> >e.g. "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null"?  All my drives are already in an
> >md array, so I can't access them individually at the filesystem
> >level.
> Yes.  You do not need to access them at the filesystem level.  Both RAW
> and on the filesystem, my benchmarks were the same when reading from 10
> disks
> raw or reading in a large file with dd using XFS as the filesystem.

My impression is different, it does matter for certain raid types in a parallel dd test
whether you run it off the raw devices or off a file system. At least if you dd
different files in parallel off the same device.

best regards
keld