From: Guy Watkins <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mike Myers <mikesm559@xxxxxxxxx>; Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; john lists <john4lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 2, 2009 8:43:53 PM
Subject: RE: Need urgent help in fixing raid5 array

} -----Original Message-----
} From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-raid-
} owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Myers
} Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 11:20 PM
} To: Justin Piszcz
} Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; john lists
}
} Ok, good news and bad news.  I finally got all the disks connected and
} bypassed the backplane.  Md2 starts with 6 members in a degraded mode.
} Md1 is still having the same problem.  In doing an examine on each member
} disk, I discovered that 8 disks had the superblock referencing md2's UUID.
} The other thing is that only 6 had the UUID of md1, which is suppposed to
} have 7 members.  One of the two (sdf1) that has the superblock of md2 (but
} not active in the array) is also an Hitachi, which it shouldn't be (md2 is
} a seagate 7200.11 array). This appears to be the missing md1 disk.  I
} don't understand how it got the other raid array's info, but things are
} weird here.
}
} That was the good news.  The bad news is that when I tried to assemble md1
} with all the md1 members plus sdf1 (the disk that thinks its part of md2),
} I mistakenly used it as the target for for mdadm assemble command.  Ugh.
}
} So I typed: mdadm /dev/sdf1 --assemble /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
} /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdi1 /dev/sdj1 --force
}
} So now sdf1 instead of having the wrong superblock has no super block.  Am
} I completely hosed at this point?  I probably needed to figure out a way
} to get this disk a new superblock anyway, but but I suspect things are
} even harder to fix at this point.
}
} Any ideas as to how to fix this?  Is there another superblock somewhere
} else on the disk that I can recover the proper info from?
}
} Thanks,
} mike

I don't consider myself an expert, however...

I think you should only assemble it with 6 of 7 disks.  Leave out the one
that you think has the most wrong data.  If this works, the array will not
try to sync anything.  So, no data damaged.  Then test the data.  Once you
are really sure the data is as good as it can be, then add the missing disk,
it will resync at that time.  However, 1 bad block on any of the 6 disks
will cause a failure.

Then, switch to RAID6 ASAP!  :)

Guy

}