From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mike Myers <mikesm559@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; john lists <john4lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 2, 2009 10:57:13 AM
Subject: Re: Need urgent help in fixing raid5 array

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Mike Myers wrote:

> Well, I can read from sdg1 just fine.  It seems to work ok, at least for a few GB of data.   I'll try this on some of the other disks, but it is possible for to pull the disks out of the backplane and run the SFF-8087 fanout cables direct to each drive and bypass the backplane completely.  It certainly would be easy to do this for the at least the sdo1 drive and see if I can get better results going direct to the disk.  I have moved the disks around the backplane a bit to deal with the issues of the controller failure, so I am pretty sure it's not just one bad slot or the like.
>
> So you've seen a backplane fail in away that the disks come up fine at boot but have corrupted data transfers across them?  I wonder about the sata cables in that case as well.  I could hook up a pair of PMP's to my SI3132's and bypass the 8077 cables as well.

1. Try by-passing the backplane.
2. Bad cables will usually cause smart identifier UDMA_CRC_Error_Count to
   increase quite high, if it is 0 or close to it, the cable is unlikely the
   issue.
3. I have seem all kinds of weirdness with bad backplanes, drives dropping out
   of the array, drives producing I/O errors, etc.

Justin.