Re: Raid 5 Recovery

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:13:15PM -0500, Erik Boettcher wrote:
> I guess I should specify how it complains: the exact same error
> message but sde3 instead.

As others have said, definitely wait for a more
knowledgable person to post here but if I am working on a
machine and accidentally jar the SATA cables, mdadm
sometimes kicks two drives from my raid5 causing it to
display similar problems.  What works for me is a mdadm -E
/dev/sdnx where the dev is one of the drives it kicked as
that represents the "good" state of the array.  Then
/recreate with one drive missing:
mdadm --create /dev/mdx --assume-clean --level 5 /dev/sda3
//dev/sdb3 missing /dev/sdc3 etc. with the device order
//being the same as that listed in mdadm -E component
//device list. and missing for the first device which was
//kicked.  The number of devices, spares, chunk size etc
//has to match the array of course, then verify the
//filesystem readonly and once you're sure the order is
//right and the FS is good, re-add the last device and let
//the resync do its thing.

I am curious as to whether there is another way to recover
from the multiple drive nonfailure condition though because
recreating can raise the heart rate a little.

Shane