Aw: Roadmap for md/raid ???

Hi again,

you forgot the "clever RAID-6 check" :-)

Since we are at it, I would like to propose a "concept",
the idea itself is not completely clear in my mind, but
maybe you could find your way in it (or not).

Since it seems bitmaps are so beloved, I would like to
propose the possibility to provide the RAID with an
external bitmap.
For what? You'll ask...

To make the array a bit more filesystem aware.

Let's assume we have an md device which is 20%
full. Of course the md itself does not know this,
only the FS knows it.

In case of HD failure and resync, the md will start
the operations from the beginning to the end.
On the other hand,  it would be wise to sync first the
used blocks (20% in the example) and later the others,
if necessary at all.
Because the array will get faster to a "safe state".

In order to do this, some filesystem tool could
provide a "priority map", telling the array which
blocks should be synchronized first and which last.
Probably there is more, like set the md read-only,
not sure about that.

So, from the md point of view, there will be a file,
with some bitmap information, and it will start
a resync accordingly to that bitmap.

How does it sound? Does it make sense at all?

Hope this could give some ideas to improve the
already wonderful md subsystems!

For the road map you proposed, I've no major
comments, just my personal priorities would be
raid5->raid6 conversion and hot-device-replace.

Thanks,

bye,

--

pg