Re: detection/correction of corruption with raid6

Piergiorgio Sartor wrote:
Why a RAID system might have inconsistencies?
Why do we have a "check" command at all, to run weekly or monthly?

Because alpha particles fly by, most systems don't have ECC memory, a passing truck and noisy jet create a beat frequency that causes a once in a century bit flip on a good cable connection, power line noise creeps in, or maybe an angel farts.

My question is why we don't use available techniques to fix this since we have the software to find it for us.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still