RE: 12x performance drop on md/linux+sw raid1 due to barriers [xfs]

Consider if write cache is enabled, and 128 blocks are in write cache
waiting to be flushed.

If those 128 blocks are not needed again before it is time to flush,
then not only did you waste cycles copying those 128 blocks into cache,
but you prevented those same 128 block from being used by read cache,
buffers,
whatever..  You also have overhead of cache lookup, and no matter what,
you still
have to flush cache eventually.   If you are doing extended writes, then
the cache
will fill up quickly, so it hurts you.  Write cache is of greatest
benefit on a
transactional environment, like database, and can hurt performance on
benchmarks,
rebuilds, etc .. depending on whether or not the extended operations can
actually
save a disk I/O by getting information from the cache before it is time
to flush
cache to disk.

If you have SCSI, FC, or SAS disks, then you can query the drive's cache
log pages
(they are in vendor-specific fields for some drives), to see how the
cache is being
Utilized and determine relative efficiency.

David