Re: 12x performance drop on md/linux+sw raid1 due to barriers [xfs]

Am Samstag 13 Dezember 2008 schrieb Justin Piszcz:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Justin Piszcz wrote:
> >> Someone should write a document with XFS and barrier support, if I
> >> recall, in the past, they never worked right on raid1 or raid5
> >> devices, but it appears now they they work on RAID1, which slows
> >> down performance ~12 times!!
> >>
> >> There is some mention of it here:
> >> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#wcache_persistent
> >>
> >> But basically I believe it should be noted in the kernel logs, FAQ
> >> or somewhere because just through the process of upgrading the
> >> kernel, not changing fstab or any other part of the system,
> >> performance can drop 12x just because the newer kernels implement
> >> barriers.
> >
> > Perhaps:
> >
> > printk(KERN_ALERT "XFS is now looking after your metadata very
> > carefully; if you prefer the old, fast, dangerous way, mount with -o
> > nobarrier\n");
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Really, this just gets xfs on md raid1 in line with how it behaves on
> > most other devices.
> >
> > But I agree, some documentation/education is probably in order; if
> > you choose to disable write caches or you have faith in the battery
> > backup of your write cache, turning off barriers would be a good
> > idea.  Justin, it might be interesting to do some tests with:
> >
> > barrier,   write cache enabled
> > nobarrier, write cache enabled
> > nobarrier, write cache disabled
> >
> > a 12x hit does hurt though...  If you're really motivated, try the
> > same scenarios on ext3 and ext4 to see what the barrier hit is on
> > those as well.
> >
> > -Eric
>
> No, I have not forgotten about this I have just been quite busy, I will
> test this now, as before, I did not use sync because I was in a hurry
> and did not have the ability to test, I am using a different machine/hw
> type but the setup is the same, md/raid1 etc.
>
> Since I will only be measuring barriers, per esandeen@ I have changed
> the mount options from what I typically use to the defaults.

[...]

> The benchmark:
> # /usr/bin/time bash -c 'tar xf linux-2.6.27.8.tar; sync'
> # echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches # (between tests)
>
> == The tests ==
>
>   KEY:
>   barriers = "b"
>   write_cache = "w"
>
>   SUMMARY:
>    b=on,w=on: 1:19.53 elapsed @ 2% CPU [BENCH_1]
>   b=on,w=off: 1:23.59 elapsed @ 2% CPU [BENCH_2]
>   b=off,w=on: 0:21.35 elapsed @ 9% CPU [BENCH_3]
> b=off,w=off: 0:42.90 elapsed @ 4% CPU [BENCH_4]

This is quite similar to what I got on my laptop without any RAID
setup[1]. At least without barriers it was faster in all of my tar -xf
linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2 and rm -rf linux-2.6.27 tests.

At the moment it appears to me that disabling write cache may often give
more performance than using barriers. And this doesn't match my
expectation of write barriers as a feature that enhances performance.
Right now a "nowcache" option and having this as default appears to make
more sense than defaulting to barriers. But I think this needs more
testing than just those simple high meta data load tests. Anyway I am
happy cause I have a way to speed up XFS ;-).

[1] http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-12/msg00244.html

Ciao,