Re: mdadm and automatic re-add / incremental mode with usb-disk

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Wilhelm Meier wrote:

Hi,

I'm using debian etch with mdadm 2.5.6-9.

I have a md-device /dev/md1000 with two usb-disks as raid1. The array
is assembled well if the system boots, if I unplug one of the disks,
the array goes to degraded. Thats all ok.

If I re-plug the usb-disk, udev discovers the device fine, but mdadm
doesn't start the re-add to the md-array. I have to do this but hand.

Is there something missing to make this work automatically?

I tried the mdm-2.6.2 from etch-backports too. Same effect.

Here, if I try to use the --incremental mode, it constructs a new (!)
array /dev/md/d_1000  instead of adding it to /dev/md1000.
Thats strange to me.

I thought I got it working some weeks ago (maybe with earlier / other
versions of mdadm or somme missing other tool), but I can't get the
puzzle right now.

Any hints?
--
Wilhelm

Wilhelm,

As far as I know mdadm never will re-add a broken/failed/disconnected disk back into the array. Perhaps what you saw before is on an un-clean shutdown
or something similar, upon reboot the array is checking/re-initializing.

When you have a failed drive and you re-attach it, it will stay as a removed unit and you need to remove it and add it manually as you stated.

Were you seeing something other than this before?

Justin.