Re: Superblock limits / conversion

On Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 09:46:23AM -0500, Ryan Wagoner wrote:

> I have a RAID 5 array with 3 TB drives. When reading through the list
> I realized that the v0.90 superblock doesn't support arrays over 2TB.
> This means I can never grow this array to 4 drives?

That's my understanding, yes.

> Is there a way to convert to the v1.0 superblock? I realize I can't
> convert to the v1.1 or v1.2 without recreating the array. Is there any
> advantages over the v1.1 or v1.2 formats with their placement of the
> metadata not at the start of the device?

There's no way to convert superblocks as such.  With both the 0.90 and
1.0 superblocks being at the  end of the disk, you could probably
recreate the array without losing data though - you may need to shrink
the filesystem in case the 1.0 superblock uses more space than the 0.90
(and I'd definitely test this with loopback devices first).

> I read that the kernel autodetect will not work with v1 superblocks. I
> have my mdadm.conf correctly configured. When booting this should be
> all I need for the array to be assembled? Out of curiosity can v1
> superblocks work on the /boot or / array? I would assume not because
> it would need to be auto configured before the mdadm.conf could be
> read.

If this is not the / array then the init scripts should assemble it from
the mdadm.conf file.  You can use 1.x superblocks for /boot anyway (as
that's not accessed during boot outside of the bootloader, and that
needs to access the raw disks anyway), and for / if you're using an
initrd (which will contain the mdadm.conf and assemble the array before
switching root).

> Also "v1 supports restarting driver recovery that was interrupted by a
> clean shutdown.". Does this mean that a initial resync or recovery
> will continue and not restart when rebooting?

Not sure on this one, I though all versions would continue (if using a
bitmap).

HTH,
    Robin

--