zeroing superblocks on running systems

Hi folks,

I just pulled up a new machine and initially had /dev/sd[ab] as the
source of a giant md device to serve as physical volumne in an LVM2
volume group, but then grub2 didn't managed to obtain my trust and
I created /dev/sd[ab]1 as /boot and /dev/sd[ab]2 for the md device
instead.

Unfortunately, I forgot to zero the superblock on /dev/sd[ab], so
now when I call mdadm -Es, it tells me about three arrays, when
I really only have two.

But I also cannot zero the superblock while the machine is running:

  khyber:/boot# mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda
  mdadm: Couldn't open /dev/sda for write - not zeroing

I cannot take it down. Is there any other way in which I could
destroy the obsolete superblocks on /dev/sd[ab]?

Thanks,

review of a chemistry paper:
  "paper should be greatly reduced or completely oxidized."
                                                    -- frank vastola

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx