Re: RFC - device names and mdadm with some reference to udev.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 20:45 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
>> > The scariest suggestion, but probably the most complete and automated,
>> > would be to have mdadm do a search on any constituent devices to find
>> > out what the eventual low level driver is.  If it's a fiber channel
>> > driver, or iSCSI, then don't auto assemble.  If it's sata/e-sata, or
>> > local SAS, then it's more likely auto assemble is fine.  But, that level
>> > of mucking around in /sys for each device would probably be quite ugly.
>>

>> Quite.  And I'd almost certainly get it wrong.  One day someone might
>> come up with a solution that can be automated.  For now I think I
>> stick with configuration in mdadm.conf
>
> I'll keep this in mind as a spare time project...

I don't think the mucking around to determine the underlying device
would be that ugly.  Another use for this information is to set a
policy on which device ports are raid ports to enable policies like
auto-rebuild, or detect when a component member is found outside the
"raid domain".

--
Dan