From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mike Myers <mikesm559@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Lethe <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:48:58 AM
Subject: Re: Adaptec raid congtrollers for SATA disks under software raid

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Mike Myers wrote:

> Well, actually if the chips that manufacturer A uses are faster in software raid than manufacturer L...  :-)
>
> thx
> mike

Mike,

What sustained rates for sequential read/writes have you been able to
achieve with multiple (HW) based PCI-X RAID cards?

Isn't there a drop in performance when exporting a drive via JBOD vs.
directly attached to a SATA controller?  I remember raptors on a SiI 3112
(or the raid chip on an ABIT IC7-G, its been awhile)-- in RAID mode on a
motherboard, it was (this was a while ago) 40-50MiB/s whereas the same raptor
connected to a regular sata controller was closer to 70-80MiB/s (74GiB raptor).

Justin.