Re: dmraid - where is the raid done?

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
Somebody had suggested this list for this question:

I understand that dmraid is just some kind of interface to the
_software_ raid that is provided on a number of SATA interface cards
such as the Promise and Adaptec cards.

Reading http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_RAID_FAQ I get the
message loud and clear that this is not real hardware RAID but rather
it's done in the BIOS on the card.

The message there seems to be, if you are going to do it in software
anyway, why not just skip the IO card RAID and just use MD?

The one reason I could think of for using the BIOS provided RAID would
be to reduce the data needing to traverse the PCI bus.  With host-raid
(i.e. MD) every write to disk needs to actually be written over the PCI
bus twice, once for each disk, right?

But do the BIOS RAID cards out there only need the write command and
data once and they do the work of writing it to the two disks on-board
the IO card?

At bootup the bios takes care of booting properly for the fakeraid.

After that the OS driver only reads tables that the BIOS put on the disks,
and figures out which disks are to be raided, and the OS does *ALL* of the work just like MD. The only advantage is the bios taking care of booting from either disk, without this if a bad disk still partially there (say it just had bad blocks on all of the /boot partition) then the OS won't boot (with MD), but may boot with bios raid1/dmraid.

If you set raid in the bios, and don't use dmraid in the OS, at some future
boot the bios raid *CAN* determine that the disks are out of sync
and correct this (and depending on your configuration eliminate your data), I
had a customer that did this and was running R0 on the 2 disks, but the
bios was configured R1 and after a year+ of running R0 the machine crashed
in a bad way and the bios determined there were out of sync and asked to
correct it, and they said yes, and it eliminated their data.

So only bootup is done in the bios, once the machine boots the bios is gone
and no longer doing anything.

IIUC, when you have a BIOS RAID configured, even though there are two
disks, the operating system only sees one.  This would seem to support
the theory that the write only goes to the controller once and it takes
care of the mirroring, but I will defer to your experience.

I don't remember if dmraid takes care of hiding the 2 devices, if it does
the OS is still aware of them and writing to both of them.

Thanx,
b.