Re: question on how to (correctly) build an initrd for a root disk on a RAID1

Joe Landman wrote:
Hi folks:

  We have been trying to build an operational initrd for a root drive
on  software RAID1.

  Basic specs:   2.6.23.14 kernel (though same issues with 2.6.27.2
kernel), on Centos 5.2, pair of SATA drives using libata and other
drivers, x86_64 architecture.

  Using mkinitrd --with=raid1 --with=libata --with=sd_mod ...

  I am getting a kernel panic on switchroot, it can't find the root
file system.

Hi Joe,

What does the "root=" kernel parameter look like in your grub.conf (are you using grub?)? Mine looks like root=/dev/md2. My md0 is the boot partition and md1 is swap. I know this is simplistic but I didn't find it in your message.

Steve

I did some googling, but could not find a similar
example.  Do I need to create a specialized init script?  Is there an
example of this somewhere?  I did look at the Documentation/md.txt and
tried the

     md=0,sda1,sdb1 md=1,sda2,sdb2  md=2,sda3,sdb3

  kernel boot time option, to no avail.  Persistent superblocks are
on, and the devices have the right partition types.

  Any suggestions?  More things to read?

  Thanks in advance.

Joe