Re: RAID 0 md device still active after pulled drive

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the response and clarification. Regarding where mdadm reported a drive failure, it came from mdadm --monitor (see points 2 and 3 in my original email, pasted below):

2) Then I monitor the md device.

mdadm --monitor -1 /dev/md2

3) Then I pull out a hard drive from the RAID 0 out of the system. At this point, I expect md device to become inactive.

DeviceDisappeared on /dev/md2 Wrong-Level

So, mdadm acknowledges a device has disappeared from the RAID 0 md (/dev/md2). This of course means the RAID 0 must be inactive. So, there is a mismatch here in mdadm's reporting. It reports the drive failure, but does not report the corresponding RAID 0 failure.

For consistency, my recommendation would be therefore be to have mdadm report the array inactive at this point as well. Perhaps this is a special case for RAID 0, but I also think it is worth it to have mdadm try a little harder to report correctly, rather than not acknowledging the md failure at all.

Best regards,
-Thomas