RE: Distributed spares

The manuals are all online.  There are typically several to choose from.  Installation
Manuals are standard, but are pretty worthless.  Look for programming/interface specification
manuals.   They are not always online where you can find them easy, it depends on the manufacturer.

They're typically several hundred pages long.   Also firmware specifications go into algorithms
in great detail, but unless you have NDA then you won't get them.  (And people like me who have NDAs,
are not allowed to share them).

In any event, manuals are important. They reveal such things like the duty cycles for most of the
Consumer class disks you get with PCs & at the retails are 2400 hours.  i.e, 100 days x 24 hrs/day,
Unlike enterprise class disks that are rated for 24x7x5 years.   (So disks are not all the same). Enterprise class
drives have more ECC bits and smarter algorithms for automated recovery, and extended online/offline diagnostic
capability.  Some drives also have a limited number of start/stop cycles.   Choose disks wisely!

David